Ota vippi ilman pankkitunnuksia
Convert MP3 to AAC Easily and for Free | Creation Robot
Creation Robot random header image

Convert MP3 to AAC Easily and for Free

April 19th, 2005 · 193 Comments

This post has been updated for iTunes 10.x on Windows or Mac OS X (Dec 2011).

Once you’ve got your conversion going, check out my other website, called Story a Week. Much like the title suggests, I write a new story each week for an entire year. It’s mostly Sci-Fi, Fantasy/Urban Fantasy with a few other genres thrown in – such as horror or erotica.

Please go take a look, it’s been running for six months already so it has quite a bit of content already! Now, onto the How To:

I started to look for a program to convert my MP3 files to AAC files, and Google’s front page was as helpful as a car tyre is to a hedgehog.

Vroom splat.

Then I recalled something I read ages ago about iTunes having conversion functions built into it. A quick fondle through the iTunes’ menus and bingo.

iTunes can also convert from AAC to MP3 or from M4A to MP3.

A lot of music playing devices, such as the Nintendo DSi, require AAC files and not MP3s. Files converted to AAC using iTunes will play fine on any AAC compliant device.

If after you have converted your MP3s you have ended up with M4A files then don’t worry, you just selected ‘Apple lossless‘ format instead of AAC. Try again or if you no longer have your MP3s then convert from M4A to AAC, iTunes will do that as well.

How to use iTunes for converting music formats:

1. Open iTunes, select Edit then Preferences and click on the General tab. Now click the button that says Import Settings.
  2. Change the Import using drop down menu to AAC encoder. Select Custom, now select the same bitrate as your MP3s. This is so you a losing as little quality as possible during the conversion. Hit OK and close the preferences menus.
  3. Then in your iTunes Library window select the tracks you want to convert to AAC, an easy way to do this is to press Apple+A or Control+A on your keyboard to select all. If you need to sort then right click the iTunes Kind column header to sort by type.
  4. When you have them selected right click on one of the files — or select Advanced from the iTunes menu — and choose Create AAC Version and, well, that’s it. Ta Da.

If you want to remove all your MP3s after converting to AAC:

1. Open iTunes
  2. Select Library
  3. Right click on a column name (Bit Rate or Name for example)
  4. Make sure Kind is ticked as this shows you the file types
  5. Click on the Kind column title to sort the file types
  6. Left click your first MP3, hold down shift, left click the last MP3 in the list
  7. Press delete
To convert M4A to MP3 do the following:
  1. Open iTunes, select Preferences
  2. Click on the General tab
  3. Click the button named Import Settings
  4. Choose MP3 Encoder inside of the drop box, click OK
  5. Right click on a column name (Bit Rate or Name for example)
  6. Make sure Kind is ticked as this shows you the file types
  7. Click on the Kind column title to sort the file types
  8. Choose all of the M4A files that you wish to convert to the MP3 format by clicking those songs.
  9. Click Advanced located at the top of iTunes and a drop down menu will open.
  10. Select Create MP3 Version

If you have any questions just post them in the comment section below, thanks!

Category: Apple · CreationRobot · IT

193 responses so far ↓

• 1 JAXOV // Jul 3, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Hi everyone, it’s my first go to see at this site, and post is really fruitful for me, keep up posting such content.

• 2 Andrew // Jun 1, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I followed all the steps and can see both the mp3 and AAC versions in iTunes, but when I go into the iTunes media > music folder all I see are m4a files.

• 3 ruuuthio // May 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Just saved me banging head against a wall! Thank you so much:)

• 4 Alex // Apr 14, 2012 at 5:01 PM

something i dont understand… when i look at my itunes music folder i cant find my music? it just says itunes library and it takes me back to itunes

• 5 Lexi // Jan 12, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Thank You !

• 6 Ron // Dec 27, 2011 at 12:28 AM

when i download from my source and store in ITunes I convert to AAC from MPEG. I download them from ITunes to cd;s to play in my car. Is the AAV version better. Should I then delete the MPEG version of the song.

• 7 Amanda // Dec 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Thanks so much! Although I discovered that using Apple Lossless doesn’t work with my DSi (I don’t know why, since it still creates an “m4a” file, but the DSi can’t read it). Still, using the actual “AAC” conversion works perfectly.

Appreciate all the help!

• 8 Katia // Sep 7, 2011 at 3:16 AM

Very helpful, lots of thanks

• 9 Doug // Apr 7, 2011 at 6:29 PM

I found software online that will let me create MP3 files off of vinyl records. When I am done I want to change all of these to AAC so they will play in iTunes. Should I have the MP3 files created in the directory that holds my current iTunes collection or should I place it in a seperate directory? If so, I would have to put them into iTunes in order to convert them, correct? Thanks for your help!

• 10 Sharlene // Apr 3, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Thank you SOOOOO much for this info. I was astonished that my girls couldn’t play their music on their DS. I’m going to try this conversion right away.

• 11 isaiahdhyeds // Mar 26, 2011 at 3:32 PM

it didn’t work! please help me!

• 12 KC // Mar 4, 2011 at 12:17 PM

I was depressed there for a minute, then i found this page. They’re all converting atm. the DSI is the last thing i can use to play music :(
    THANK YOU! :D

• 13 vhinz // Jan 21, 2011 at 7:38 PM

thanks dude it really helped…. its perfect!!!

• 14 Cindy // Jan 21, 2011 at 6:04 PM

I don’t understand how to set the bitrate the same as my mp3.. what does it mean?

• 15 fiona // Jan 15, 2011 at 7:59 AM

thank you so much! so simple saved lots of time wondering and my little one is thrilled to play her songs on her nintendo ds and make them sound like chipmunks! thank you for taking the time to help everyone out!

• 16 Amanda // Jan 14, 2011 at 4:41 PM

OMG!!! U R A FRIGGEN LIFE SAVER. I TRIED EVERYTHING TO MAKE MUSIC WORK ON MY DSI XL!!!!!!!! OMG THNX SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!

• 17 shernicesmall // Oct 31, 2010 at 7:31 PM

thanks so much i did it step by step with you and i get it ok so thanks so much

• 18 Viki // Aug 31, 2010 at 2:48 AM

Hiii
    I did same all steps as your directions to make a ACC file for iphone but when I converted, it dosn’t show any where there was a msg everytime it converted into aac but I didnt find that any where so plz tell me what to do ??
    Thanks

• 19 PERSON // Aug 27, 2010 at 10:41 AM

hi! umm i need help with deleting the mp3′s. i cant tell which file is aac or mp3! and when i put the songs in my dsi it didnt work!

• 20 Fadak // Jul 8, 2010 at 4:09 AM

AWSOME! This was so helpful and easy, before this i thought i would like have to go to those rip off sites and do some techinal things to finally get AAC files! This was easy and legal xD

• 21 jeni // Jul 3, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I’m trying to convert to AAC. I’m using iTunes 9.2. The problem is, whenever I right click, there is no mention of AAC in the menu it provides. When I click the ‘Advance’ tab after clicking on the song I wish to convert, I see the the ‘Create AAC Version” option, but it is greyed-out. I can’t click it.
    please help.

• 22 Fergal // Jun 15, 2010 at 6:47 AM

This is great thanks very much! :)

• 23 audrey // May 15, 2010 at 7:34 PM

The ringtone appears on my itunes as a ringtone but not on my iphone when i sink what can i do to have it on my iphone?

• 24 Chano // May 12, 2010 at 4:30 AM

All the songs in my iTunes are in MPEG did i do something wrong???

• 25 Tomaz // Apr 20, 2010 at 9:02 AM

It seems that VBR doesn’t work…

• 26 al // Apr 17, 2010 at 1:41 AM

• 27 Amelia // Apr 15, 2010 at 7:28 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have been looking for EVER to find somthing to convert mp3 to aac, for my dsi, and now thanks to you, I put one time – Justin bieber on my dsi. (I wanted to see what he would sound like as a chip munk.)

And Your instructions are so simple, im only 13 and I understood them perfectly.
    Thanks :D

• 28 skybus09 // Mar 26, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Thank you giving this info about AAC files. Godbless my friend.

• 29 festerer // Feb 17, 2010 at 6:33 AM

Hi, I have followed all of the above instructions but still seem to be stuck with mp4 files, I tried converting to ‘apple lossless’ then ‘aac’ but they still stay as mp4′s any help would be appreciated.

Sally

• 30 CreationRobot // Feb 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM

It does still work with the current version. I will be updating this guide shortly to reflect the most up to date version of iTunes 9.0.3

• 31 CreationRobot // Feb 12, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Your SD Card may have a slider on it that makes it read only. Check for that.

• 32 CreationRobot // Feb 12, 2010 at 3:41 PM

You are most welcome :)

• 33 CreationRobot // Feb 12, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Rhapsody? Sorry this is iTunes only as iTunes makes things nice and easy.

• 34 CreationRobot // Feb 12, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Clearly this needs iTunes, which is free.

• 35 Sam // Feb 1, 2010 at 12:21 AM

How can i do this without downloading itunes or getting fancy software? only have media player. . .?

• 36 joker // Jan 23, 2010 at 11:02 PM

What about music in Rhapsody? How do you convert MP3 to AAC?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

• 37 G. // Jan 15, 2010 at 12:37 PM

This is great. I just did it and it was sooo easy.
    Thank you!!!

• 38 rafael // Dec 25, 2009 at 11:39 AM

hi, after following every step, when i right click on get info, it still shows mpeg audio & my DSi won’t recognize the file. i tried multiple times following every step, I ven get that little sound that iTunes plays when file is converted. is there somenthing I am missing?

• 39 Jamie =^-^= // Dec 23, 2009 at 10:50 PM

^ wow!
    well you probably don’t need another thank you but i have to-
    THANK YOU!!!!!
    i spent hours looking for converters and junk and this is by far the best, easiest, safest, fastest BESTEST method of converting mp3 to acc-
    YOUR AWESOME DUDE ^o^

• 40 Janey // Dec 6, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I followed the steps but then when I copy and paste the AAC file onto the SD cards document it says the disk is write-protected. It says that for every file I try.

Help?

• 41 Mnewrath // Dec 2, 2009 at 6:52 AM

Ya .. I followed the directions to the letter and the files that are created are still m4a files. I am using the ACC Encoder and Not the Apple Lossless Encoder. Must not work with the newest version. 9.0.2.25

• 42 Peter // Dec 1, 2009 at 7:11 PM

WOW DUDE THANKS A LOT!! I was searching all over the ‘Net for a file conversion program, but they all cost money and stuff, so once again, get ready for it… THANK YOU!! :D

• 43 gamergirl // Nov 20, 2009 at 8:15 PM

I need help!

I did all the steps,but instead they converted to MPEG files!

• 44 Tamera // Nov 19, 2009 at 6:27 AM

when i convert the song i want to AAC, it says its converted but it doesn’t make a duplicate song… what should i do?

e-mailing me a response would be wonderful, thank you.

• 45 dateykay // Sep 26, 2009 at 3:23 PM

i love you, hero.

• 46 Kidd // Sep 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Dude thanks your awesome! Now my kid can have music on her Nintendo Ds

• 47 Klet // Sep 11, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Just a heads up and FYI, (since I was having this issue until I was messing around) if you have your iPhone plugged into your computer while you are trying to convert to AAC, the option will be greyed out. Unplug the iPhone, convert all the tones you want, then plug it back in to sync it up. Took me about 2 hours of beating my head against the monitor to figure it out hehe.

• 48 Rafael // Sep 3, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Just saying thanks isn’t enough!
    MANY THANKS, specially for Nintendo DSi citation!

• 49 Ted // Aug 31, 2009 at 12:52 AM

I’m having the same problem as the comment number 7, when i right click it only has the option to create ringtone and it tells me that i can’t as i didn’t purchase the song on iTues and the option to create AAC version in advanced is greyed out. Any help greatly appreciated. Version of iTues 8.2.6.1

• 50 PaulC // Aug 22, 2009 at 2:58 AM

Dude! You’re a legend. So simple, and here I was trying to find software to convert my files… :-)

• 51 Chris // Aug 14, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I tried it, but it says the original file can’t be found…?

• 52 Caleb // Aug 13, 2009 at 6:45 AM

Awesome information. English is a little rough, but overall after reading directions a few times everything works well.

• 53 Naanu // Aug 3, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Thanks a lot

• 54 monkey_ipod // Jul 29, 2009 at 3:24 AM

Hi!!!how can i convert my mp3′s to play and put it on my ipod apple 4gb….

sorry for my english…

please send it to my yahoo email…thanks…

• 55 Aussie-Love // Jul 24, 2009 at 6:38 PM

You are my hero. Thankyou so much.

• 56 JEHR // Jul 22, 2009 at 10:41 PM

I’m trying to convert to AAC. I’m using iTunes 8.1.2.6. The problem is, whenever I right click, there is no mention of AAC in the menu it provides. When I click the ‘Advance’ tab after clicking on the song I wish to convert, I see the the ‘Create AAC Version” option, but it is greyed-out, as in I can’t click it. wtf?

• 57 chad // Jul 14, 2009 at 5:32 PM

can you turn aac files back to itunes files?

• 58 Ger // Jul 11, 2009 at 11:53 AM

After I convert my files they end up as “.m4a” and not “.aac”. I am not using the Apple Lossless Encoder, I am using the AAC one, but isn’t working. Should I just rename the files?

• 59 jeanet // Jul 8, 2009 at 8:12 AM

how do i save my music to my sd card for my dsi i already converted them to aac

• 60 richard // Jul 7, 2009 at 12:35 AM

omg tx bro ur the best 5 STARZSSSSS

• 61 Rodrigo // Jul 1, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Alright, all my itunes files are AAC. (after following these steps)

I have copied the files from my itunes to my sd card and tried it on my ds.

My ds doesn’t recognize them still.

What’s going on?

CR: Read the instructions that came with your DSi.

• 62 Lost // Jun 27, 2009 at 11:10 PM

These instructions worked!!!!!
    Thanx alot!!!!

• 63 Jorenhelsen // Jun 26, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I don’t understand something you say that I have to change the import ussing drop down menu what is that?
    Can somebody help me ?
    Joren

CR: See below :)

• 64 Jorenhelsen // Jun 26, 2009 at 2:57 PM

ik begrijp 1 ding niet:Wijzig het importeren met behulp van drop-down menu om AAC-encoder. Dit begrijp ik niet wat is drop down en ik heb aac coderingen dat is het maar de rest ?
    Kan iemand me helpen
    alvast bedankt
    Joren

CR: De drop-down menu is het menu aan de bovenkant van het iTunes-venster. File / Edit / View, enzovoort. Is dat helpen?

• 65 Jenn // Jun 24, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Worked great, thanks!

• 66 Ashley // Jun 20, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I just got the DSI and Iwant to put music on it I have edited the import settings but I don’t see the converting sign in the file menu.

CR: Just start again and follow the instructions carefully :)

• 67 iRock // Jun 19, 2009 at 5:35 PM

The new iTunes does not have Convert Selection to AAC on right click. All you have to do is select the music you want to convert, Go to the top and choose advanced and you will see convert to aac.

CR: It does have right click, but it has been renamed to ‘Create AAC Version’, I’ve edited the text above to reflect this, thanks.

• 68 remoat // Jun 18, 2009 at 9:25 PM

>> maybe im too old for this, but it would help to include at least a hint on WHERE to find the comment window.. it would save time instead of searching and wasting it.. (EXAMPLE: scroll to the bottom of this page to add your comments.)
    CR: Comment fields on blogs are always at the bottom, that said I’ve made the text clearer for you.
    >> the conversion to AAC wont work for me..
    i followed the instructions for changing the encoder format to AAC and the highest bit rate, and clicked “OK” at every window change..
    >> i have the current itunes version, and use windows xp..
    >> i can find the library file to convert.. i want to convert all tracks in my windows media player to AAC.. i can highlight all tracks.. a right-click shows no option for AAC conversion..
    >> all i can do is convert one track at-a-time..
    >> i returned to the encoder menu to double-check the procedures: the AAC encoder selection and bit rate are correct, as instructed..

am i missing something?
    CR: Yes, you are, the right click menu had a name change. I’ve corrected the above post. If you don’t wish to use right click I’ve added an alternate way of doing that in the post.

• 69 Tim // Jun 10, 2009 at 5:02 AM

erightsoft’s Super also seems to do it, at least according to the menu.

eRightsoft makes downloading Super difficult, hiding the download link after pages and pages of advertising, but it is available there somewhere, or was, last time I looked.

• 70 cjw333 // Jun 7, 2009 at 1:46 AM

Thanks!!! Exactly what I was looking for. I too was motivated by the DSi’s lack of mp3 support. This did the trick and I had music in AAC on my DSi in no time.

• 71 random // Jun 5, 2009 at 5:25 AM

i got a dsi
    all u gotta do is right click on the name bar or bit rate bar then strait away click on the song and something like’Convert to ACC file’

• 72 Arric // Jun 3, 2009 at 7:54 PM

this is great information and very useful; however, i would like to know how i would get the newly converted AAC files out from iTunes and put them on my DSi?

CR: Go into your iTunes music folder and copy the AAC files over to your DSi’s SD card. Assuming you have something to on your computer to read your SD card.

• 73 Noos // May 28, 2009 at 4:43 AM

Can you convert without using itunes?

CR: Yes, but I’m not covering that here.

• 74 Lauren // May 20, 2009 at 10:46 PM

I don’t understand the “right click on one of the files part” I don’t have a window that gave me the option to convert to AAC. I got all the rest. I just got a DSi and I want to put music on it. Please help!

CreationRobot Edit: Follow the steps above, if you get lost on the instructions let me know at what point you get lost.

• 75 debit // May 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM

but HOW does one get them onto itunes from disk to begin with? mine wont auto load like it does my other acc disks… :( i have several full album mp3s on disk that i cant get itunes to pick up and load onto my librairy…thanks though..just need some more help..thanks

CreationRobot Edit: You drag and drop your MP3 files into iTunes, it’s that easy. Just drop them on ‘Library Music’ and watch them import.

• 76 Diane // May 12, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Ok — I did this, however, on my computer it was saving it as an M4A file instead of an AAC file — so to get around this on my PC, I went into the command prompt and use the rename tool to rename it. That worked.

rename file.m4a file.aac

CR: No need for this, you selected Apple lossless and not AAC. Just go back and do the process again. M4A files are a lot bigger than AAC files.

• 77 potty 1 // May 9, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Superb! Thank you so much :o)

• 78 Dominic // May 3, 2009 at 7:06 AM

awesome man, hey if anybody wants to put music on there DSi there going to have to do this. really good tip man!!!

• 79 Cory Szoal // May 2, 2009 at 11:13 AM

i got a DSi toooo!!!!!!!!!

• 80 Cory Szoal // May 2, 2009 at 10:30 AM

thanks that helped(after I under stude)!!!!

• 81 Concorde105 // Apr 20, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Thanks so much. I needed to convert my MP3s to AAC so I could play them on my DSi. I couldn’t remember how to do it, so a quick Google search and I’m here. -_- I think it should have supported MP3 too… And yes, JONATHAN, it will.

• 82 JONATHAN // Apr 19, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Will this conversion help me put songs onto my SD card to put into my new DSi?

• 83 Brandon // Apr 9, 2009 at 4:29 PM

But it might work because I put it in the sd card after converting it. It said m4a but it worked in the dsi, except it froze at 1:29 seconds when I was trying a suggested comment above. This time it didnt freeze and I got the whole song so it might work….

• 84 Brandon // Apr 9, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Yes, but I’m doing this for my friends DSi. Also I’m doing this because I want to not waste time when I get mine :) And how did you rename them?

• 85 Jason // Apr 9, 2009 at 8:39 AM

brandon – it did it to me too … probably because im using a pc and not mac … i just renamed the files to .aac and they still play

• 86 Brandon // Apr 8, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Thanks but everytime I try to click and drag in sd card it says its a m4a file help?

• 87 Sherry // Apr 7, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Thank you!!!! Doing this for the DSi.

• 88 Mande // Apr 6, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Which version of itunes are you using? I have itunes 8 and when i right click on the songs, there is no option to convert my current music to aac.

• 89 aditya // Apr 5, 2009 at 6:21 PM

thanks man, excellent tip. its pretty stupid how the DSi only plays aacs…

• 90 Zetro // Apr 5, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Thanks a lot this was very helpful and time-saving. All i need to know is the directory to where the converted music files went. Is it in the Itunes folder along with the others? thx

• 91 SHELDON // Apr 4, 2009 at 10:54 PM

THANKYOU SO MUCH HELPS HEAPS MAN !!! ***** 5 STARS

• 92 Rachel // Mar 22, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Hi, I have downloaded music from mp3 panda, into Itunes on my Mac. It has downloaded as MPEG audio stream, and I can’t listen to it let alone put it on my Ipod. I tried to convert to AAC using the method at the beginning of this page, but don’t understand the “right click on one of the files bit” I couldn’t find a window that gave me the option to convert to AAC. I am not sure if this is the answer anyway. Help! MP3 Panda are very unhelpful.

• 93 Penguinburger1 // Mar 13, 2009 at 9:34 AM

WOW! That’s it? I’ve been trying to find how to convert MP3 files to AAC for a long time now! And it already has it on iTunes? I guess I should look a little deeper next time! Thanks for the help!

• 94 AdriAN // Mar 2, 2009 at 12:41 AM

hello~ how do i change the extension name from .m4a to .m4r? i’m running windows xp and converted the aac files and dragged the files out to the desktop but i don’t know how to change the extensions!! please help! thanks!

• 95 Joel // Feb 28, 2009 at 7:35 PM

good man!, thats fantastic!!! Yay post 100 WOO!

• 96 Yellow Edge // Feb 27, 2009 at 12:23 PM

This is a big help, you have no idea.

When I heard that Nintendo’s Wii and DSi systems were only going to support the AAC format, I was upset. Now I can take my favorite songs with my soon-to-be DSi!

• 97 sara // Feb 16, 2009 at 11:07 PM

I dunno why it doesnt convert my mp3 to ACC because after I create Acc, It wont show the second version in my library. I would appreciate if anyone help me to fix this problem. I was thinking maybe I should change something before creating Acc format.

• 98 tim // Feb 13, 2009 at 10:50 AM

ok heres the deal:
    i’ve imported them into itunes while converting from mpeg to aac files. (music tracks). that was easy, however it only imports the first minute or so of track 1, then the rest of the tracks have the infamous 789:57 play time. i’ve seen this problem all over the web and on itunes trouble shooting blog, but nowhere have i been able to find a soultion. please help!!!

• 99 Patton418 // Feb 12, 2009 at 1:29 PM

you da man

• 100 tim // Feb 11, 2009 at 4:28 PM

mpeg

• 101 CreationRobot // Feb 11, 2009 at 3:15 PM

mpeg or mp3?

• 102 tim // Feb 9, 2009 at 3:20 PM

how do i import mpeg files and convert to aac? i tried the above but the playtimes are still incorrect. any thoughts?

• 103 Looking for ACC file program? | My Wii Downloads // Feb 6, 2009 at 6:09 AM

[...] is that program download it for free at apple.com/itunes, this site has a tutorial for ya http://www.creationrobot.com/2005/04/convert-mp3-to-aac-easily/References [...]

• 104 dhanny // Jan 20, 2009 at 11:27 PM

good

• 105 Ronald // Jan 11, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Windows users, try http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/index.htm

• 106 mmechels // Jan 4, 2009 at 10:24 PM

omg…THANK YOU!

• 107 Don // Jan 2, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Ok… After converting from MP3 to AAC using itunes… I am experiencing an issue with my ID3 Tagging… I play my ipod shuffle on my theatre package, and text (title, autor) is supposed to come up on my screen… However, after the AAC files are loaded to my ipod, this text seems to be scrambled…. in 4 letter titles. ie. TUXL, or DLMP…. etc. I am not able to see the full song title.

Any suggestions?

• 108 Jim // Dec 20, 2008 at 7:21 AM

Just bought iPod Classic. Have thousands of MP3s on my hard drive and these seem to have been copied into iTunes and not converted to AAC (even though I have changed preferences to AAC encoding). If I then select any of these files in iTunes the ‘Create AAC version’ is greyed out so I cant convert them!

• 109 Compare World Series Tickets // Oct 28, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Knew a lot of this but the comment about sorting by “kind” (right click on column header) is essential if you want to convert an older mp3 library into a smaller AAC library (to put on an iPhone for example) but you have some purchased songs riddled in your library which would other wise prevent a wide conversion (itunes stops on every protected AAC instead of skipping it).

Thanks,

Cliff

co-founder NinjaTickets.com

• 110 sajal // Oct 23, 2008 at 7:15 AM

little bit useful

• 111 sajal // Oct 23, 2008 at 7:14 AM

cant say

• 112 tessa // Oct 21, 2008 at 4:05 AM

how do i convert an mp3 into aac without using itunes??

• 113 eddy // Oct 15, 2008 at 2:28 PM

thanks a lot!!.. how come we dind’t ever see it.. you are sure a genius!!

greetings from holland!!

• 114 Jeff // Oct 3, 2008 at 7:48 AM

For audiobooks… once they are AAC files (recommend 64k stereo, optomize for voice) go in your library and rename them from .m4a to .m4b and re-add them to the library.

Turbo, the function was not removed in iTunes 8… They just renamed it to “Create AAC Version”

• 115 turbo // Oct 2, 2008 at 12:24 AM

Functioned removed in tunes 8

• 116 C. Noronha // Oct 1, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Thanks a ton. u r a genius.

• 117 Maria // Sep 28, 2008 at 6:48 AM

Hi I’ve tried the steps and it worked. Now it is with the original pm3 file in the library. how do I move it to the ringtones folder or do I still have to move it?

It is still not syncing with the iPhone and on the ringtones folder.

Your help would be great!

• 118 Silas // Sep 23, 2008 at 7:43 AM

Great tip thakns a lot :D

• 119 koomo // Sep 20, 2008 at 1:48 AM

It’s there, click General, and at the bottom there’s a section “When you insert a CD:”, to the right of that there’s a button “Import Settings…” –click that button and you can change your settings to AAC, AIF, etc… just like in iTunes 7.x.

• 120 Umer // Sep 14, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Hey , can someone please tell me where the Preferences button is in itunes

thanks :)

• 121 Mike // Sep 13, 2008 at 4:19 PM

I just upgraded to iTunes 8.0 on Windows XP. Guess what? There is no “preferences” menu choice. There is an Edit->Preferences, but no Import tab. Where did it go? How can I convert an mp3 to AAC using iTunes 8.0???

• 122 Alex // Aug 25, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Boy, you saved me lots of trouble!! And well Apple too :)
    Cheers!

• 123 jrm // Aug 8, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Not sure why, but after converting “AAC” the files it spits out are .m4a, weird?

• 124 indrasish // Jul 28, 2008 at 10:19 PM

its working, thanks a lot.

• 125 binu // Jul 13, 2008 at 7:00 PM

hope very easy to conver thankyou so much

• 126 Danzie // May 16, 2008 at 3:17 AM

Thank u so much mate! Now it’s easy for me to create ringtone for my iphone..

• 127 dwelle.org » How to make an iPhone ringtone from an MP3 // Apr 18, 2008 at 4:21 PM

[...] is based on the basic instructions that I found here and here. Posted by bowen @ 4:21 pm  –  Tags: iphone music Other blogs commenting on [...]

• 128 Jackdaw // Apr 2, 2008 at 8:37 AM

This post is all about MP3 conversion, not getting ringtones working on your phone. You are on your own with that as no-one knows what your phone is capable of.

• 129 Godsmack // Mar 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Hi. I read all the instructions above, and guess what, I still cant get my own ringtone. I’ve tryed coverting mp3 to acc, and then changed .mp3 to .m4r (ringtone). So far everything is good, then I double click .m4r file and it opens in iTunes in section Library – Ringtones. Gr8, I finnaly get file to ringtones section, but – here it is, again, another problem. When I sync to my iPhone it gives me error; ” (filename) was not copied to the iPhone because it could not be found” . The one and the last thing thats on my way to create my own ringtone. So – did anyone had the same problem AND if someone found the solution? I would be really glad if someone’s got answer. Please, help.

• 130 Backlash // Mar 24, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Thanks Man Awsome Tip… I Was Looking For Software To Do This To Make Incoming Text Tones For My Phone And I Came Across Your Page And I’m Not Looking Nomore……….

Thanks!!

• 131 Zari // Feb 19, 2008 at 6:36 PM

I have a quick question – and i need a FAST answer please! Okay so I opened iTunes the I went to “Edit” then “preferences” .. and now i CANNOT find the “importing” thing! can you please tell me with more details what do I need to do if I want to convert mp3 to acc! and please write me all the steps …

Thanks in advance :)

Please contact me on sunny_horizon@abv.bg as soon as possible!!

• 132 purnomo // Jan 18, 2008 at 5:08 PM

I haven’t found AAC converter yet???
    where is software??
    i want to download it!!!
    thanks for your attention

From :
    MA Hidayatus Syubban
    Semarang-Indonesia

• 133 Heebie Jeebies // Dec 26, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Well technically what happened is that even though the M4A file I got off of iTune DOES in fact play on my cellphone, there’s a display message stating that it cannot be set as a ringtone, so anyone here got a clue as to what I should do?

P.S.: My phone service provider is Rogers if that helps

• 134 Heebie Jeebies // Dec 26, 2007 at 10:05 AM

I have the same trouble as the previous comment… What does I needs to do!?

• 135 Menia // Dec 25, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Even though I converted the file from mp3 to m4a… it still does not “set as a tone” on my phone. Does the file extension have to acc for it to work?

• 136 Jackdaw // Dec 19, 2007 at 8:43 AM

@ 43 – “I have 192 kbps mp3 files in iTunes…will there be a loss/gain in quality if I convert them to 192 kbps AAC files? Thanks!”

Some audiophiles argue that AAC is better (distorts less) than MP3. Personally I can’t tell the difference. You will lose a little on that conversion but I’m betting you won’t ever be able to tell unless you’re pitch perfect.

• 137 Jackdaw // Dec 19, 2007 at 8:31 AM

@50 – MP3 will not play on a normal CD player either. Burn the tracks using iTunes playlists.

@51 – iTunes does NOT auto convert files.

@54 – No, MPEG is a movie format. AAC to MP3 is easy through iTunes, just reverse the instructions above. If the files are protected burn them to a normal CD first, then rip back to MP3.

• 138 brian // Dec 14, 2007 at 8:44 AM

thanks a lot i managed 2 convert ma foolish mp3 files

• 139 jivs // Dec 12, 2007 at 9:39 PM

thanks a lot dude
    how could i ever repay u…????

• 140 saskia // Dec 12, 2007 at 5:49 PM

aac protected files that is

• 141 saskia // Dec 12, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Hey umm.. im trying to do the exact opposite of everyone else, is it possible to convert aac files into MPEG files??

• 142 Comment on Convert MP3 to AAC Easily and for Free by George // Dec 5, 2007 at 1:56 PM

[...] Autonomous Creativity            Comment on Convert MP3 to AAC Easily and for Free by George I really want to convert my aac files back into Mp3. itunes automatically converted them all, and [...]

• 143 mohamed // Nov 29, 2007 at 11:02 AM

je recharche c’est programme de puis 6mios
    je besion de la telechargement

• 144 George // Oct 29, 2007 at 8:41 AM

I really want to convert my aac files back into Mp3. itunes automatically converted them all, and I wish it hadn’t.

There’s no option within itunes to do so, and I was wondering if it was possible.

• 145 tony // Oct 22, 2007 at 11:40 AM

when I convert mp3 to aac it saves them as m4a & they will not play on a normal cd player. please help

• 146 apple » Blog Archive » Ringtonator, a GUI for the ringtone hack // Oct 11, 2007 at 7:11 AM

[...] One caveat– while this program doesn’t require a separate install of AtomicParsley, the application that makes the metadata edit possible, it does still require AAC encoding on the sound file– Joe says he might add in mp3 to AAC conversion at a later date, but he doesn’t really have to, as it’s easy enough to figure out how to do that. [...]

• 147 Fabrice // Sep 11, 2007 at 1:21 AM

merci bane grand pilon

• 148 mehdi // Aug 29, 2007 at 4:05 AM

TANKS

• 149 amrita // Aug 24, 2007 at 4:13 AM

yaaaah…..i too was searching for the same…lets seee if it works out….

• 150 fifiward // Aug 16, 2007 at 2:40 AM

I find a free program, Any Audio Converter.It convert mp3 to aac easily. worth a try.

• 151 ITdoktor: Ekspert i iTunes - lydbøger - ITsvar.dk // Aug 13, 2007 at 8:48 AM

[...] 12-08-2007 21:46:51, mille03: Ekspert i iTunes – lydbøger 13-08-2007 13:56:08, ChrLaessoe (Bruger): brug32 Kbps AAC-arkiverdet ser ud til at være formatet jf:http://www.apple.com/dk/itunes/store/audiobooks.htmlkonvertering: http://www.creationrobot.com/?p=813 [...]

• 152 Drew // Aug 3, 2007 at 8:42 PM

• 153 Noah9 // Aug 2, 2007 at 1:25 AM

WOW!!
    Thank you very much Guyz..
    This’s been the coolest article on AAC conversion..
    Helped me a lot. Keep up the good work!!

Thanks again
    Noah

• 154 Jon // Jul 10, 2007 at 7:22 PM

I converted the mp3 files to AAC. But i cant find the files to put them into my phone. I dont have an SD card or w/e just a USB adaptor. Anyone know what i do to put the AAC files on my phone using just a USB adaptor?

• 155 Danii // Jul 9, 2007 at 12:57 PM

Thankyou soooo much!
    i needed my music in aac so i could put it on my sony mp3 player..
    totally stupid cz i have all mp3. :D thankyouuuuu

• 156 ipod 5g 30gb:not happy with the sound quality - iPod - iPhone - iTunes Forums at iLounge // Jun 13, 2007 at 2:37 PM

[...] this in your own topic, but to answer your questions: 1. To encode your MP3′s to AAC, take a look here. 2. If the MP3 and AAC files are compressed with the same exact bitrate, their file sizes should [...]

• 157 Aac mp3 // Jun 5, 2007 at 5:52 AM

[...] sound as good as or better than a 160 kbit/s MP3 file. Because the bit rate is lower, the AAC …Convert MP3 to AAC Easily and for Free links from Technorati you can convert MP3 to AAC inside iTunes, but I find it slow and [...]

• 158 Converter???? - boards.ie // May 22, 2007 at 12:39 PM

[...] http://www.creationrobot.com/?p=813 [...]

• 159 joe // May 15, 2007 at 5:03 PM

my little bro got a phone and a micro sd card, we can get the song to show up on the card but then it will tell us that there is an error. ive tried to do what u guys have been talkn about, but i cant get it to work. does anyone know how to get the music from itunes to actually play on the phone?

• 160 Convert mp3 to aac « Tech Help // May 3, 2007 at 11:22 AM

[...] Convert mp3 to aac 1.      Open iTunes, select Preferences and click on Importing.2.      Change the Import using drop down menu to AAC encoder. Select the bit rate you fancy, have it as high as the highest bitrate MP3 file you want to convert so you a losing as little quality as possible.3.      Then in your iTunes Library window select the tracks you want to convert, press Apple+A or Control+A on your keyboard to select all or click the iTunes Kind column header to sort by type.4.      When you have them selected press the Advanced menu, choose Convert Selection to AAC and, well, that’s it. Ta Da.This won’t delete your MP3 files, you will get AAC files alongside your existing MP3 files. Later, if you are happy, you can delete your MP3 files and save some diskspace.5.      If you want to remove all your MP3s after converting to AAC:6.      Firstly make sure you really want to do this, it will save space on your hard disk but personally I would reccomend that you burn all your MP3s to CD/DVD before deleting them.7.      Open iTunes8.      Select Library9.      Right click on a column name (Bit Rate or Name for example)10.  Make sure Kind is ticked as this shows you the file types11.  Click on the Kind column title to sort the file types12.  Left click your first MP3, hold down shift, left click the last MP3 in the list13.  Press deletesource: creationrobot.com [...]

• 161 Rolan23 // Apr 25, 2007 at 1:26 PM

I am trying to use AAC files as ringtones but once I convert the MP3 songs to AAC, I cannot find the files on my computer? The iTunes page will not ‘see’ my Micro SD chip so I can drag and drop. How do I load these songs onto an SD chip to use as rigntones?
    Thanks!

• 162 convert mp3 to aac - Eniro // Apr 21, 2007 at 12:50 AM

[...] Convert MP3 to AAC Easily and for Free [...]

• 163 Profi // Apr 18, 2007 at 6:33 AM

Where to click to download this prog?

• 164 sleazy70 // Apr 10, 2007 at 7:22 AM

thanks a lot buddy this saved me a lot of time……………

• 165 HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Come here if you own a Trace (t519) // Apr 1, 2007 at 7:33 PM

[...] would make the library a whole lot neater (for instructions on faster deleting of duplicates — http://www.creationrobot.com/?p=813) * go to music folder where newly encoded music is stored and copy and paste to phone card (thank [...]

• 166 vishal // Mar 26, 2007 at 9:35 AM

hiiiii

• 167 MP3 -v- AAC - Mobile-Review.com Forums // Mar 20, 2007 at 9:19 AM

[...] Download iTunes, it will do the job instructions here http://www.creationrobot.com/?p=813 [...]

• 168 ahryz // Mar 10, 2007 at 4:19 AM

thnks’ it help me a lot, but i have one more question, if i burn all my songs with the AAC format into a cd, it is possible to play also in cd player..??

• 169 Arm // Feb 19, 2007 at 4:42 PM

Do files converted from mpeg to aac lose anything in the translation in terms of quality/sound?

Thanks.

• 170 Jackdaw // Feb 8, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Max – MPEG to AAC will not work. MP3 to AAC will.

Jim – Not the same problem as Max in the slightest. Follow the guide above. As for Audiobooks you need to look somewhere else, I don’t cover that here.

• 171 Jim // Feb 8, 2007 at 7:13 AM

Have the same problem as MAX. Trying to make an audiobook that would display as such in ITUNES. Figured the second step would be to convert the mp3 files to aac but haven’t figured how to do this, let alone the last step of making the ITUNES/audiobooks entry.

• 172 Max // Feb 6, 2007 at 5:28 AM

My itunes wont let me convert my MPEG files into AAC, what do I do, anyone?

• 173 Brian // Jan 27, 2007 at 8:11 AM

Thanks for the information. Great. You da man!

• 174 Dimolian // Dec 31, 2006 at 10:59 AM

Top tip mate cheers for that. I have shed loads of mp3 that I thought would be useless for my ipod as I don’t have the discs but that tip has saved the day!

• 175 mustangchick2006 // Dec 27, 2006 at 11:12 PM

THANKS so much! now i can use mp3′s on my cellphone as ringtones! you are a blessing man!

• 176 Taneka // Dec 9, 2006 at 2:15 AM

I’m glad I found this. My mother had bought my daughter an Ipod for x-mas and I thought I would only be able to use itunes..

• 177 hihi ihdi a // Nov 1, 2006 at 1:46 PM

• 178 narey // Oct 19, 2006 at 8:36 AM

I wass searchin 4 it..

• 179 Jackdaw // Sep 24, 2006 at 8:59 PM

• 180 kedar // Sep 24, 2006 at 7:21 PM

where is the software

• 181 shetoo // Sep 23, 2006 at 5:10 PM

i’ll try

• 182 Jackdaw // Sep 1, 2006 at 3:06 PM

Novi: You’re on your own I’m afraid, the above method works with any standard MP3 files. If the files are non standard, containing DRM or some other nasty, then they might not convert as iTunes will not be able to interpret the non standard code inside the MP3.

Try burning the tracks to a CD, then rip back from the CD to AAC, it should remove the nasties in your MP3 files and leave with nice clean AAC files.

• 183 Novi // Sep 1, 2006 at 12:50 PM

hi i just did what you told me to convert to aac and thanks heaps it worked but when i used other songs it didnt work. it had said it was converting but it still ended up being an mp3 file can you help me?

• 184 dan // Aug 16, 2006 at 11:46 PM

your the man

• 185 Jeremy // Aug 14, 2006 at 1:36 PM

You are a genius. Good man thanks!

• 186 Jackdaw // Aug 3, 2006 at 6:46 AM

If you want to remove all your MP3 after converting to AAC:
    Open iTunes
    Select Library
    Right click on a column name (Bit Rate or Name for example)
    Make sure Kind is ticked as this shows you the file types
    Click on the Kind column title to sort the file types
    Left click your first MP3, hold down shift, left click the last MP3 in the list
    Press delete

Hm, I’ll add this into the post above.

• 187 Matt Diesel // Aug 2, 2006 at 7:06 PM

ok, so it’s converted all of my files, but the mp3′s are still in the library. how do i get rid of them without going and picking them out one by one and deleting them?

• 188 Digital Life » Converting MP3 to AAC // Jan 31, 2006 at 2:42 PM

[...] [Via Creation Robot] [...]

• 189 TipMonkies » Blog Archive » Converting MP3 to AAC // Jan 26, 2006 at 4:06 PM

[...] [Via Creation Robot] [...]

• 190 egar // Dec 15, 2005 at 1:31 AM

I’ll try

• 191 Jackdaw // May 30, 2005 at 8:47 AM

Glad it helped!

• 192 Tarkam // May 26, 2005 at 10:05 PM

Hey, Great Tip, I was searching for a software to do this and found a couple that started at US$ 29.99, while itunes does it for free. I wanted to encode to aac or mp4 to convert my downloaded podcasts to audiobooks so I could resume them on my ipod.

Thanks again for the tip!

• 193 satit dechapituck // May 11, 2005 at 12:55 AM